- Skills Training
- C1 Making and Using Traditional Mortars (Contractor Level 1)
Two day introductory course aimed at contractors and those with trowel skills, - this practical workshop will provide attendees with a strong understanding of lime technology and how to approach re-pointing work in traditional buildings.
One of our popular courses, this practical workshop will provide attendees with a strong understanding of lime technology and traditional mortars.
The reasons for using traditional mortars on solid walls will also be explained, to allow you to better advise your clients. The course will guide participants to be able to complete repointing work to traditional buildings to a high standard.
The content of this workshop provides the underpinning knowledge required for assessment and accreditation of SQA National Unit H8WT45 – Prepare and Mix Traditional Lime Mortars
Click here to download PDF copy of the course description
This practical course is aimed at building contractors and those undertaking repair works to traditional buildings and masonry structures. We are always happy to help learners choose the right course. Please contact us if you would like to discuss which course is suitable for you or your employees.
*C1 is a pre requisite course for our Traditional Masonry Repair C2-Contractor Level 2.
You can get £100 discount if you book C2 within 2 weeks of completing C1 or booked at the same time. Contact our admin team to avail this offer.
- Understanding traditional building technology and the lime cycle
- Understanding the range of binders, sands, and aggregates for traditional mortars.
- Ability to undertake accurate mixing for repeatability and cost effective work.
- Understanding the setting characteristics of lime mortars.
Day 1 - Making Traditional Mortars
- Health and Safety issues to consider
- Historic use of lime to the traditional mortars
- Processing lime
- Best practice for mixing air, hydraulic and gauged hot lime mortars
- Inspecting masonry structures and buildings
- Using the right tools
Day 2 – Using Traditional Mortars
- Preparing masonry joints
- Techniques of working
- Placing of mortar for repointing both rubble and ashlar walls
- Correct joint finishing
- Curing and protection regimes appropriate for different times of the year
Please note: The Scottish Lime Centre Trust reserves the right to withdraw or modify any course being offered. In the event of a programme being withdrawn, we will try to find suitable alternatives.
£310.00 + VAT
(£372.00 incl VAT)
Starting on: July 4, 2023:
Starting on: Oct. 10, 2023:
15th August 2023 - 10th November 2023
06th June 2023 - 15th November 2023
10th July 2023 - 3rd November 2023
07th March 2023 - 28th November 2023