- Skills Training
- Introduction to Plain Lime Plastering
This one day workshop aims to provide an introductory guide to the preparation and application of plain lime plaster to both lath and masonry backgrounds which abound our historic buildings for internal wall and ceiling finishes.
Lime plaster has a long history of use as a finishing material for internal walls and ceilings in Scotland (and elsewhere). The two main methods of using plaster are achieved by applying it directly onto masonry, referred to as ‘plaster on the hard’ or onto a backing of timber laths.
This one day introductory workshop aimed at plastering contractors, building and heritage professionals and owners of traditional buildings, will provide an introduction to the preparation, application and aftercare required for achieving traditional plasterwork schemes.
By the end of this workshop, attendees will be able to recognise and appreciate the work required to successfully apply traditional 3 coat plain lime plastering as well as more vernacular 2 coat work.
SPACES STILL AVAILABLE. BOOK NOW ONLINE OR CALL 01383872722
This workshop is aimed at plastering contractors, building and heritage professionals and owners of tradition buildings with historic plasterwork schemes who are inquisitive as to the necessary preparation of plaster materials, backgrounds (both lath and onto masonry), application techniques and aftercare requirements for achieving successful plain lime plastering (also known as flatwork).
- Understanding of the materials used to make traditional lime plaster and how to prepare lime plaster;
- Understanding of the preparation and installation techniques for lathing;
- Understanding the preparation requirements for masonry backgrounds to receive coats of lime plaster;
- Understanding the application techniques required for 2 and 3 coat plain lime plastering;
- Understanding of the setting characteristics and aftercare required for the successful curing of plain lime plaster schemes.
- Welcome and health and safety briefing;
- Benefits of lime plaster finishes in traditional buildings;
- Introduction to traditional lime plasterwork in Scotland;
- Hands-on and demonstrations for:
- Slaking quicklime to produce lime putty
- Range of sands suitable for traditional plasterwork
- Hair reinforcement
- Mixing mature traditionally produced putty and sands to make ‘coarse stuff’, including the addition of hair reinforcement
- Demonstration – ‘hot’ mixing quicklime and sand to produce ‘coarse stuff’ plaster for backing coats
- Preparing pre-mixed ‘setting stuff’ for finishing coats
- Brief introduction to the use of gypsum
- Preparing solid (masonry) backgrounds
- Preparing lath backgrounds
- Applying first coat onto lath and ‘on the hard’
- Applying straightening coats
- Applying finish coat
- After care and trouble shooting
- Repairing traditional plain plasterwork
£450.00 + VAT
(£540.00 incl VAT)
Contact me when a new date is scheduled
10th January 2024 - 11th January 2024
18th August 2023 - 15th March 2024