Lime PointingBook courses
Learn the skills to help you carry out your own mortar pointing repairs.
02 May 2020
12 June 2020
04 September 2020
- 9:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
- SLCT Trainers
- £145.00 + VAT
This popular one day workshop is aimed at those who would like to undertake repointing works as part of a renovation project or simply as general maintenance to traditional masonry structures.
In this practical 'hands on' training day, attendees will learn to undertake repointing works with confidence. This course will give a sound understanding of traditional building technology, repair techniques and the materials to use when carrying out repointing.
Attendees are encouraged to bring along images of their projects to discuss with the SLCT tutor on the day.
This course is aimed at those who own or are responsible for a traditional building.
Also suitable for those responsible for maintenance works to traditional buildings or a renovation and conservation project.
We are always happy to help learners choose the right course. Please contact us if you would like to discuss which course is suitable for you.
- Ability to recognise original lime mortars and later inappropriate cement mortars
- Ability to proportion out accurately sand and lime binders
- Understand how joints and beds should be prepared to receive new lime pointing
- Ability to apply lime mortars with pinning stones into prepared joints and beds
- Understand the curing conditions required for lime mortars to harden
- Health and Safety issues
- Introduction to traditional buildings
- Historic use of lime mortars
- Understanding the range of binders, sands and aggregates for traditional mortars
- Mortar Mixing
- Preparing masonry joints
- Techniques of working
- Placing of mortar for repointing
- Joint finishing
- Curing and protection regimes
Other sources of funding are also available.
To find out more click here.
Please note: The Scottish Lime Centre Trust reserves the right to withdraw or modify any course being offered. In the event of a programme being withdrawn, we will try to find suitable alternatives.