Govan THI - Sash and Case Window and Joinery Repairs for ContractorsBook courses
This course is being delivered as part of the Govan Cross THI (Townscape Heritage Initiative) scheme. There is no charge to attend but booking is required as places are limited.
Tuesday, 29 Apr 2014
10.00 - 16.00
John McRitchie (McRitchie Carpentry)
Free as part of Govan Cross Townscape Heritage Initiative
It is now widely recognised that sash and case windows should be retained in traditional buildings wherever possible and that even the most neglected windows can usually be refurbished by undertaking simple repairs. Join us for this one day course which will allow you to undertake repairs to traditional timber sash and case windows.
A short history of the development of windows will be covered before looking at the different components that make up a window and the issues to consider when approaching repairs.
This course is suitable for building contractors, trades people, semi-skilled and time-served operatives and homeowners living or working in the Govan area.
- Ability to identify and address various problems that commonly occur with sash windows
- Understanding of dismantling and reassembly of windows, replacing ropes, weights, panes and putty
- Ability to undertake detailed window assessment to allow students to confidently perform a detailed window survey
- Health and safety
- Introduction to sash windows
- Typical problems & solutions
- Undertaking repairs
- Making and installing replacement components
- Protection and appearance
- Options for improving thermal qualities