Surface Repair of StoneBook courses
This course will cover the how to carry out a successful surface stone repair with an understanding of the materials and when and where it may be appropriate.
13 - 14 November 2018
- 9:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
- SLCT Trainers
- £280.00 + VAT
In many cases, simple surface repairs can be less intrusive and a suitable alternative to replacing masonry units with new stone. You will be amazed at the results you will be able to achieve after only two days! This course is designed to ensure successful surface repairs to flat work, angles, corners and moulded details. The decay mechanisms of stone will be discussed and we will consider the factors to that should be taken into account when deciding if a surface repair is a suitable alternative to replacement with new stone.
This course is aimed at those working within the construction industry who have had practical building experience and trowel skills. We are always happy to help learners choose the right course. Please contact us if you would like to discuss which course is suitable for you or your employees.
- Understand the mechanisms that cause stone decay and the instances where surface repairs are an appropriate alternative to replacement with new stone;
- Understand the interaction between surface repairs and background material;
- Ability to execute surface repairs to stone in a variety of materials.
- Determining repair requirements to decaying stone;
- Determine a repair strategy considering scaling, salts, case hardening, damage from inappropriate materials and damage from impact;
- Surface preparation - cutting out decayed material;
- Fixing anchorages and cramps;
- Making templates and moulds;
- Undertaking surface repairs in appropriate materials;
- Finishing work - tooling methods, matching to surrounding stone, using the correct tools.
Other sources of funding are also available.
To find out more click here.
Please note: The Scottish Lime Centre Trust reserves the right to withdraw or modify any course being offered. In the event of a programme being withdrawn, we will try to find suitable alternatives.