Rubble Wall BuildingBook courses
This practical two day course will equip you to set out, construct and finish a traditional rubble wall using a variety of building stones and traditional lime mortars.
20 - 21 March 2018
5 - 6 June 2018
- 9:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
- SLCT Trainers
This practical two day course will equip you to set out, construct and finish a traditional rubble wall using a variety of building stones and traditional lime mortars. The importance of laying the stones correctly and the use of pinning stones will be emphasised so that no more than 30% of the volume of the wall is mortar!
The content of this workshop provides part of the underpinning knowledge required for assessment and accreditation of SQA National Unit 3 – ‘Conservation Masonry’.
This practical course is aimed at masonry contractors and those undertaking repair works to traditional masonry structures. You should be reasonably fit and able to lift 25kg safely. We are always happy to help learners choose the right course. Please click here to contact us or telephone 01383 872722 if you would like to discuss which course is suitable for you or your employees.
- Understanding the construction of mass walls;
- Understanding traditional building technology;
- Understanding the importance of laying masonry units correctly with pinning stones to effect sound and weatherproof wall construction;
- Understanding the range of binders, sands and aggregates for making traditional mortars including ‘hot’ lime mortars;
- Ability to undertake accurate mixing of mortars for repeatability and cost effective work;
- Understanding the setting characteristics of lime mortars
Other sources of funding are also available.
To find out more click here.
Please note: The Scottish Lime Centre Trust reserves the right to withdraw or modify any course being offered. In the event of a programme being withdrawn, we will try to find suitable alternatives.