Rendering and Harling with LimeBook courses
This course will enable you to apply a variety of external lime render finishes to a wide range of backgrounds including matching to existing finishes.
25 - 26 June 2019
- 9:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
- SLCT Trainers
- £280.00 + VAT
Many, many historic buildings were finished in lime mortars externally and then handsomely limewashed to provide both protection and decoration.
This course will enable you to apply a variety of external lime finishes including formal ‘lined out’ work to less formal textured harled finishes to a wide range of background types including matching in to existing finishes. Attendance at this two day workshop will let you get to grips with both hand casting and mechanical application techniques to effect a range of surface finishes and is relevant for the reinstatement of traditional lime finishes and for new build applications. Click here to download PDF copy of the course description (98.6 KB)
This course is aimed at those working within the construction industry who have had practical building experience and trowel skills. We are always happy to help learners choose the right course. Please contact us if you would like to discuss which course is suitable for you or your employees.
- Ability to evaluate substrates and create repair strategies;
- Determine binder types and mix ratios;
- Ability to sequence works for application of external lime finishes;
- Ability to execute the application of external lime finishes successfully.
- Determine background type, suction characteristics and appropriate preparation requirements;
- Develop a strategy for application requirements taking into account the building details, location, exposure and environment;
- Scheduling work - season of working, choosing appropriate access and application method, scaffolding and protection regime;
- Determine application techniques by hand or mechanically, coat thickness, ensuring successful bonds between coats and ensuring flat work;
- Explore different types of surface finishes including flattened, textured and lined out finishes;
- Diagnosing defective work and taking remedial action.
Other sources of funding are also available.
To find out more click here.
Please note: The Scottish Lime Centre Trust reserves the right to withdraw or modify any course being offered. In the event of a programme being withdrawn, we will try to find suitable alternatives.