Making and Using Traditional Mortars C1-Contractor Level 1Book courses
Our most popular two day introductory course - this practical workshop will provide attendees with a strong understanding of lime technology
19 - 20 Apr 2017
22 - 23 Aug 2017
17 - 18 Oct 2017
09.30 - 16.30
£175 + VAT
The reasons for using traditional mortars on solid walls will also be explained, to allow you to better advise clients. The course will guide participants to be able to complete pointing work to traditional buildings to a high standard.
The content of this workshop provides the underpinning knowledge required for assessment and accreditation of SQA National Unit 1 – ‘Preparing and Using Basic Lime Mixes’.
This practical course is aimed at building contractors and those undertaking repair works to traditional masonry structures. We are always happy to help learners choose the right course. Please contact us if you would like to discuss which course is suitable for you or your employees.
• Understanding traditional building technology.
• Understanding the range of binders, sands and aggregates for traditional mortars.
• Ability to undertake accurate mixing for repeatability and cost effective work.
• Understanding the setting characteristics of lime mortars.
Day 1 - Making Traditional Mortars
• Health and Safety issues
• Historic use of lime mortars
• Processing lime
• Best practice for mortar mixing
• Inspecting masonry
• Using the right tools
Day 2 – Using Traditional Mortars
• Preparing masonry joints
• Techniques of working
• Placing of mortar for repointing
• Joint finishing
• Curing and protection regimes
Other sources of funding are also available.
To find out more click here.
Please note: The Scottish Lime Centre Trust reserves the right to withdraw or modify any course being offered. In the event of a programme being withdrawn, we will try to find suitable alternatives.