Govan THI - Traditional Roof Work (where masonry meets lead and slate)Book courses
This course is being delivered as part of the Govan Cross THI (Townscape Heritage Initiative) scheme. There is no charge to attend but booking is required as places are limited.
Thursday, 03 Apr 2014
09.30 - 16.30
Steve McLennan (Greyfriars Roofing)
- Merryhill Training Centre, Fife
Free as part of Govan Cross Townscape Heritage Initiative
The junction between roof coverings, masonry and lead work are crucial to the wind and watertight integrity of a building. Get one of these components wrong and your building will be vulnerable to water ingress. This course is designed to show you how details are formed in different materials to ensure that junctions of different materials are sound and keep water out.
This course is suitable for building contractors, trades people, semi-skilled and time-served operatives and homeowners living or working in the Govan area.
- Ability to identify different building materials used in traditional roof coverings including natural slate, lead and zinc
- Understanding what materials to use where and when with the correct detailing and code of lead
- Ability to undertake a roof survey identifying a range of defects
- Health and Safety
- Introduction to the materials used in traditional roof coverings
- Sourcing appropriate replacement materials where there is no second hand slate available
- Typical maintenance issues, problems & solutions
- Undertaking successful repairs