Govan THI - General Introduction to Working with Traditional BuildingsBook courses
This course is being delivered as part of the Govan Cross THI (Townscape Heritage Initiative) scheme. There is no charge to attend but booking is required as places are limited.
Tuesday, 01 Apr 2014
10.00 - 16.00
SLCT Director, Roz Artis
Free as part of Govan Cross Townscape Heritage Initiative
We all know that maintenance is the best way to keep a building in good condition and to maintain its value. But traditional stone buildings require the use of traditional materials and repair techniques, like lime mortars, traditional timber window and door joinery, cast iron, lead, zinc and natural slate. There is no place for silicon mastic and cement mortar!
This course is suitable for building contractors, trades people, semi-skilled and time-served operatives and homeowners living or working in the Govan area.
- Ability to identify different building materials used in traditional buildings
- Understanding traditional building technology
- Ability to undertake a basic building survey identifying a range of defects
- Health and safety
- Introduction to traditional buildings and the materials used in their construction
- Typical maintenance issues, problems & solutions
- Identifying problems and undertaking successful repairs